SR22 Car Insurance

SR-22 form is a proof of financial responsibility required by the court or state law for people convicted of traffic rules violation. The form certifies that you maintain a car insurance liability coverage.

If you are caught driving without a license, you will need to show your SR-22 form to the police. You also need it if you are involved in an accident where both parties are uninsured. Many states crack down on negligent and rash driving through SR-22 forms. Normally, you will be required to carry the SR-22 form for a period of 3 years. After you complete this period properly, your SR-22 status automatically expires. Before the SR-22 status is removed, you need to carry proof of continuous auto insurance.

If your car insurance policy lapses or is cancelled, your insurance company will notify the state authorities and your license will be suspended. For a progressive customer, the SR-22 can be terminated by filling a separate form (SR-26) with the state. This can be done 10 days before SR-22 expires.

When your license is suspended, you need to file for an SR-22 form with your state's Motor Vehicle Department (DMV). The suspension of your license will be lifted after you have successfully filed for your SR-22 form and you will be able to drive legally again.

SR-22s is associated with:

  • DUI (Driving Under Influence) or DWI (Driving While Intoxicated/Impaired) or any other serious moving violation
  • Revoked license or license suspension
  • Getting too many tickets or repeat traffic violations in a short span of time
  • At-fault accidents while driving without car insurance

SR-22 forms are state specific. This means, the SR-22 requirements differ as per the state you drive in.

Suppose you carry SR-22 in one state, when you move to another state, you must still fulfill the SR-22 filing period of your first state even though you no longer reside there. Moreover, the liability limits of the insurance policy in your new state must meet the minimum requirements of your previous state.

For instance, if you have an SR-22 of Alaska (where minimum liability limits are 50/100/25) and you move to Indiana (liability limits are 25/50/10), you need to have the minimum limits of Alaska State on your Indiana car insurance policy.

Some states such as Kentucky and Minnesota do not require an SR-22 forms. If you move to one of these states, you will have to continue meeting the requirements of the state where the offense was committed.

Some states require you to pay fees for your SR-22 forms. When you move to a new state, you should check with your car insurance company to find about the state regulations regarding SR-22.

We can help you get multiple car insurance quotes using our easy and free form below. Get quotes from multiple insurance companies and see how much you can save.

Compare Quotes from Leading Insurance Companies in your Area Now!